Robot Roll Call!

Tom Servo!

image

There are 27 Servos on this sweater. I still need to duplicate-stitch his arms and other details; first I’m forcing myself to do the (boring, boring) sleeves.

image

Trust me, not a minute goes by that I don’t wonder why I decided to make this a long-sleeved sweater instead of short-sleeved like in the original pattern. Then I remember I live in Wisconsin, and what am I ever going to do with a short-sleeved sweater?! I’ve already ripped that sleeve out once because it felt too snug. I’m glad I did, though; no use making a sweater that’s too uncomfortable to wear.

image

There’s some puckering going on. Hopefully blocking will help with that, but it’s not the end of the world if there’s a little puckering on the final product. I kind of like the 3D-ish look it gives him. Also, I ended up taking out the neck ribbing because I was already starting to enter turtleneck territory, which isn’t really what I was going for. I’m not sure how I feel about the i-cord bind-off around the neck. It doesn’t have much give; I can at least get my head through and it sits OK while the sweater is on, but I may end up replacing it with something stretchier.

Overall I’m pretty happy with how this thing is turning out. I just have to get my butt moving to finish it so I can get to the 462559140 other things in my knitting queue! (Mostly other sweaters. 😛  )


Servo Sweater

All right, there are lots of knitting projects I’ve finished over the past few months that I SHOULD be posting about, but since I haven’t gotten around to taking proper pictures of any of them, instead I’m going to talk about my current project!

Ever since I saw all the cute modifications people have made to Kate Davies’ Paper Dolls pattern, I started craving my very own geeky sweater. After giving it some thought, I decided to make a sweater featuring my favorite robot, Tom Servo from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I made my very own super-awesome Tom Servo knitting chart:

After much agonizing over which yarn to use, I settled on Dream in Color Smooshy in Romeo Blue.

I also ordered Knit Picks Palette in Pimento, Silver, White, and Black for Tom Servo himself.

After deciding on yarn, I spent an obscene amount of time on Ravelry looking at other people’s Paper Dolls projects to learn about issues that they’d encountered or mods they’d made. As a result, I’ve come up with a  fairly lengthy list of ways I’ll be deviating from the pattern as written. (This is probably going to be boring for non-knitters [and possibly knitters] to read; it’s more of a way for me to keep track of it all.)

  • The pattern starts out with an i-cord cast-on for the body, but a lot of people seem to have had issues with it and I didn’t really want to deal with it. So instead, I’m doing a provisional cast-on, knitting the corrugated ribbing for the bottom of the sweater downwards, then doing the i-cord bind-off. Then I’ll pick up the stitches from the provisional cast-on and continue on knitting the body upwards. (Reminder to self: increase one stitch after picking up the stitches.)
  • A LOT of people had issues with the yoke of the sweater puckering, and one way they’ve mitigated that is to knit the yoke a size smaller than the rest of the body. I’m seriously considering doing this, and also redistributing the decreases in the Servo chart so that they happen a bit more gradually.
  • I’m planning on making long sleeves instead of short, and also knitting them downwards. So once I get to the  yoke, I’ll provisionally cast on the sleeves, knit a few rows, and then connect them to the body for the yoke.
  • I’ve also read that the decrease row on the chart (where half of the stitches are eliminated) is pretty extreme. I’m considering either making the decreases more gradual or moving them up closer to the neck.
  • I may also skip the last set of decreases at the neck since a lot of people complained about it being too tight.
  • I’m probably going to knit a few extra rows of yoke before starting the Servo charts to avoid the tight underarm issue.

I think that’s about it. I’m really excited to make this sweater!


Star pillows – finally finished

So, I had (well, still have) the intention to decorate Drake’s room with a Super Mario Bros. theme, but unfortunately I got pretty lazy during pregnancy (well ok, I was lazy to begin with) and didn’t end up doing much with it. I started knitting these pillows last June, finished one of them in a semi-timely fashion, then knit the pieces of the second and they languished…and languished…and languished. Finally a few weeks ago, I seamed the second star, then let it languish a little longer. Today I stuffed the second star and sewed the eyes on both of them, which means these stars took as long to finish as Drake did to gestate.

In hindsight, I probably should have either made the pillows out of fabric, or made a pillow form to put inside the knit fabric, because I’m a little concerned that the stuffing could seep through the holes in the knitting. But these are meant to be more decorative than functional, so they’ll probably be fine. Live and learn!

IMG_2804small

Pattern: Knit Star Pillow

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash